Thursday, January 17, 2013

Thursday Thoughts - How to make extra money

Well, I am home sick.  The weather is positively yucky.  And now my pay is less thanks to the stimulus end!  But I'm not bitter, oh no!  I have this challenge to make ends meet and feed my family for only $250 per month.  If you have read my earlier posts you know that my family was affected by Hurricane Sandy in the fall of 2012.  So now we have to "Aunt Nancy" things to make our budget work. 

Thursday seems to be the day when I worry about money.  So my thoughts today have been about how I could make some extra money.  Just before Thanksgiving I put a sign up in the school where I teach and took orders for pumpkin bread.  I sold 13 loaves.  I really amazed myself by having the initiative to do this because I often worry about how will I feel if no one wants what I have to sell.  Perhaps it was the storm but the way I look at life has drastically changed.  If someone doesn't want something oh well, it was worth a try.  I think that might have been Aunt Nancy's attitude back in the day too.

So here goes:
1.  I can sell my homemade mozzarella cheese for $8 per pound
2.  I can sell the crocheted slippers I make for $4
3.  I can sell the rice bags I sew and scent with essential oil for headaches for $5


And here is a plan I have for the future:
1.  Sell 1 dozen eggs per week that my chickens lay to help pay for feed for $2 per dozen (This is assuming they do start laying.  This flock is a bit on the slow side.)
2.  Find something gooey, yummy, and delicious that people would want to buy for Valentines.
3.  Grow my own vegetables and herbs this year and perhaps sell the extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment