Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Food Budget Update - Feeding my family for $250 each month

This year I am determined to feed my family for $250 each month.  This began not as a New Year's Resolution but because Hurricane Sandy made it a necessity.  We used to spend $600 per month on groceries so this is really a challenge. 

So far this month we have spent $365.80.  Yes, I know it is over budget but I am very pleased at how much we have been able to decrease our food bill.  We have saved $234.20!  We probably will need a few more items before the month is up so this might change yet.  These are the following lessons that we have learned this month -

1.  Don't eat out.
2.  Buy store brand when possible.
3.  Make food from scratch.
4.  Buy less meat.
5.  Make sure everything is used.


No comments:

Post a Comment