Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Homemade Granola Bars

Well, my little boy is still sick! So today I made these homemade granola bars.  It was almost a near disaster as I forgot to turn the oven heat down because I was using a dark pan.  Oh well, I cut the black edge off and hopefully we will enjoy them anyway.  I took a quick taste and they seemed ok.  I just hope this batch doesn't harden too much.  I won't forget about the oven temp again!

These are very quick to make and thanks to the blue disposable gloves, not too messy.  I plan on bagging them individually and using them in our lunches. 

Here is the recipe I used -



Homemade Granola Bars

2 cups oats
2/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup honey
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  If you are using a dark nonstick pan preheat to 325 degrees.  Grease a 9"x13" pan.
2.  In a large ball, combine the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, salt and raisins.  Stir with a spoon until the ingredients are evenly mixed.  Make a hole in the center.  Pour in the honey, beaten egg, oil, and vanilla.  Mix well using your hands and then pat the mixture evenly into the pan.
3.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges begin to turn golden brown.  Turn pan over onto wax paper and cut bars immediately.  Then cool the bars on a wire rack before packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment