Thursday, January 24, 2013

Snow Day - How flatlanders sled

The day has been filled with fun snow activities.  One of our favorites is sledding and since we live in an area of the country that is flat this is how we do it.  Sledding here is parent powered pulling.  I remember the first time I went to the hills of Pennsylvania where my husband is from when there had been a snow.  My husband had laughed at me when I explained how we went sledding.  (My dad would pull me for what seemed like hours down the road and through the yard.  If the pond was frozen hard we might even get a push that sent us skidding.)

I will never forget the sheer terror as the sled took its first plunge down the hill at my brother-in-laws home.  Nor will I forget the painful roll I took the rest of the way to the bottom when I fell off part of the way down.  It would seem you have to hold on and do something called steering.  No indeed, sledding down hills is not for me!  I am a flatlander!  I like level ground.  People may laugh, but sledding for me will always be best when it is pulling my kids on the old runner sled that my dad used for me when I was a little girl.  I will happily pull until my fingers are numb with cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment