Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Herb Garden - deciding which to grow

It is 15 degrees outside and I am thinking of herbs.  Last weekend I made the design for the garden with old patio blocks and scalloped brick border from my yard.  I was very pleased with the results.  Now as I sit and sip a bit of tea I am thinking about which herbs I want to grow.

I definitely want basil, oregano, and chives.  We use these often in our cooking.  I would also like some herbs for tea. My favorite is chamomile, but I would also like some spearmint and lemon balm.  Of course the cats will want cat nip.  Recently I have also been thinking about making some lotions and body creams so maybe lavender and eucalyptus should be added to the list.

I could probably keep going on and on but I really need to see which ones I have the space for in the garden.  So here comes my research -

basil - plant height 12 - 18 inches, plant spacing 9 - 12 inches

oregano - plant height 12 - 18 inches, plant spacing 12 - 15 inches

chives - plant height 12 - 18 inches, plant spacing 6 - 9 inches

chamomile - plant height 20 - 30 inches, plant spacing 6 inches

spearmint - plant height 12 - 18 inches, plant spacing 2 - 3 feet

lemon balm - plant height 12 - 18 inches, plant spacing 12 - 15 inches

catnip - plant height 3 - 4 feet, plant spacing 15 - 18 inches

lavender - plant height 12 - 18 inches, plant spacing 18 - 24 inches

eucalyptus - plant height 40 feet, plant spacing 40 feet  (best to keep in a container and prune)

Now that I have this information it is time to make some decisions.  The easiest of course is the eucalyptus. This certainly won't be going into the herb garden, but maybe I could plant it against the house with a southern exposure.  I definitely have room for the basil, oregano, and chives.  If I plant spearmint that will be the only thing I can have in that square of the garden.  I have room for the chamomile, lemon balm, and cat nip.  I even have room for two lavender plants.  After checking the area covered by the other herbs I am glad to see that I can indeed have spearmint in the garden.

It might be frosty here but just thinking about this herb garden warms my spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment