Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Remembering Hurricane Sandy Part 1

People have told me repeatedly that I need to record what my family experience last fall, October 29, 2012.  I feel as if this storm changed our lives in so many ways.  My family lives next door to my parents and our lives are very dependent on one another.

It was my father's 66th birthday!  There was crab meat in the refrigerator waiting to be made into crab cakes.  A cake sat on the counter.  The winds were strong, but not that bad yet.  We had decided to stay home to weather the storm.

For the last hurricane, authorities had issued evacuation notices for our area (a low lying one to be sure!), but his time there was no notice given.  For that last storm we had left, stayed with my uncle further inland, and returned home to find everything the same.  I say we, meaning my family and my mother.  My father had stayed as if he were the ship captain.

We had been in this very location my whole life, a grand sum of 41 years.  There had been times the bay had risen, but like a true friend it always returned to its own place without bringing any pain or destruction to ours  So, this time, we, everyone (parents, husband, children, and animals) stayed!

And then hell was unleashed...

No comments:

Post a Comment