Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How to choose fabric for a quilt

One of my favorite things to do is to make quilts.  More specifically I like to make quilt tops.  I like the designing process more than the binding process.  So therefore I often have a stack of beautiful tops that need to be backed and bound.

When I am feeling particularly low I find myself searching desperately for fabrics.  Perhaps the quilting or the planning becomes a form of therapy for me and allows me to release my frustrations.  Life has been very chaotic recently and I have spent many evenings after the children went to bed searching for fabric on the internet.

I have begun to plan a new quilt.  Here is how I choose my fabric -

1.  Choose the main colors to use.   Select monochromatic, complimentary, or analogous.
2.  Chose fabrics of different intensity.  Select light, medium, and dark shades of the colors to make the quilt balanced.
3.  Choose fabrics of different scale.  Select small, medium, and large prints.  Too many large scale prints in a quilt will be too busy; too many small prints will make the quilt dull. 

No comments:

Post a Comment