Friday, May 10, 2013

How many kittens did Cally have?

My husband and I went back to the shed yesterday.  I carefully handed out to him one kitten after another.  There were eight in all.  He placed them into a box and we carried the box and Cally to my parents' screened in porch.  We placed it in a dark section against the wall.  Mom brought out food, water, and milk for for Cally.  Then my daughter and I retrieved a litter box from Dad's shop.  Then we left Cally to care for her kittens, which she promptly did.

Upon returning from school however, I noticed that most of the kittens were all snuggled on top of one another.  All except one.  This one was smaller than the others.  I carefully moved her to the others.  Cally jumped back into the box and started nursing everyone.  Everyone that is except the little one.  I kept trying to put the little one up to Cally to nurse, but it never tried.  It would end up being pushed away by the others who were furiously trying to drink.

My husband rushed to the farm store and returned with some kitten formula.  I had sat quietly by the box for a long time observing.  The little kitten was continuously pushed to the side and it was apparent that Cally had not even washed her like she had the others.  Finally I checked the little one again and she felt so cold.  I wrapped her in my hands to warm her and snuggled her close to my chest.

When my husband returned, we mixed formula and gave a small bit to the little one.  It was apparent that the kitten didn't know how to suck.  After a bit of milk it seemed to have a bit more life - a small sound, a little movement.  We hoped that after a few more feedings the little one would make a turn for the better, but that was not to be.  At midnight, when we checked, the little ones life had passed away.  Such a short little time to be on earth. 

Now Cally has seven kittens.  They appear to be healthy and crawl over one another to reach their mother to nurse.  We will wait and hope that all will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment