Thursday, May 2, 2013

Remembering Hurricane Sandy Part 2

The wind was picking up and the rain was beginning to fall in earnest.  My mother and I drove out to the high school and parked our cars.  My father then picked us up and drove us back home through the rain which was slicing sideways against the car.

As we neared home we drove on down the road toward the shore.  We wanted to check on the height of the water.  We didn't make it to the end of the road because the tide had already begun to rise.  The water lay across the road at the corner so much so, that there was no sign of the usual marsh.

At home, we hurriedly pulled the final two vehicles up onto the small hill in our yard.  The cars were safe there the last time it had flooded.  I then stacked the rabbit cages and turned our goat, Bella, loose to find high ground.  I tried to get the last two chickens back into their coop where they could would be able to get high up on their roost, but it wasn't to be.

I headed into the house thoroughly drenched.  And prayed that all would be safe.  And then the water rose!

No comments:

Post a Comment