Sunday, May 12, 2013

Checking eggs

Life has been chaotic for our family this weekend.  My daughter was having a friend sleepover Friday after school when I received a phone call from my mother about my uncle being taking to the hospital.  We immediately had to change plans and my husband took over the sleepover. 

My mother and I hurried to the hospital which was an hour away.  It was determined that my uncle had a brain tumor and would be transfered to John Hopkins hospital over 4 hours away.  So we came home, grabbed a few hours of sleep, and then headed for Baltimore. 

Needless to say that with everything going on the eggs had not been collected.  My daughter brought them in this evening.  I knew the eggs should be good, but I am really careful with the eggs.  So we decided to be safe and test them.  There is an old saying that goes - if it doesn't sink it will stink.  We checked each egg in a cup of water.  Every single egg sank to the bottom and laid fully on its side.  From what I have read as long as part of the egg touches the bottom it is fine to eat.  And the fresher the egg is, the more it lays down.

My egg basket I got myself for Mother's Day is really neat.

Egg is laying down on its side and is therefore good to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment