Sunday, June 23, 2013

Assateague Island Virginia - Our Day 1 Trip

We live in a rural area but have access to nearby vacation hot spots.  My favorite of which is Assateague National Wildlife Refuge and Chincoteague Island.  It is only 30 minutes away.  So although we never go away on vacation to this place, we have all the fun that a tourist would spread out through the summer.

This morning my daughter and I went to the Bike Depot and rented a tandem bike.  At 10 years old, she is adamant that she can't ride a bike.  Today I showed her about balance by putting her on the tandem with me.  It was smooth biking and we rode about 10 miles total.

We saw a wide variety of birds including great white egrets, mourning doves, terns, and many others which I had no name for.   Along the way we crossed paths with 4 rabbits, a snapping turtle, and many chubby little Delmarva Fox Squirrels while leisurely riding.   It was a great time and one in which we were able to talk freely and just have fun.  A perfect mother daughter time!
Our Tandem was actually red.  For $6 per hour we had a delightful time!

No comments:

Post a Comment