Monday, March 25, 2013

I Heard the Peepers for the Third Time

As you know, I have been waiting not very patiently for spring to come.  I have also been trying to see just how accurate the old saying about peepers is really.

 A peeper is a tiny frog, no bigger than your pinky fingernail, who seems to herald in the spring.  It is then that their chirping chorus is noticed by many.  I don't know that I have ever noticed them any other time of year.   The saying goes that after hearing the peepers it will freeze again.  Only after hearing the peepers for the third time will people know that spring has truly arrived.

I am pleased to report that this morning, while turning the cat out, at 5:45 a.m. I heard the peepers glorious sound for the third time.  Now, will this saying hold true?  I am keeping my fingers crossed.  Sing, peepers, sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment